Tuesday, November 16, 2010

don't let Cooper pop it

I've been meaning to write this down since it happened.

Rewind first: A few months ago, John David wanted to take a bouncy ball outside to play and I told him "no" repeatedly because I knew our neighbor's dog Cooper (a lovable yellow lab) could get his teeth around it and pop it. But....you know how kids can be. They can just wear you down and you get tired of sounding like a broken record!

Well, I got tired of this daily battle so when he snuck it outside I didn't bother doing anything except say, "Don't let Cooper pop it." In a matter of minutes, Cooper got ahold of it and popped it. Tears ensued, and I thought, "Mmmm hmmm, told you so." He cried and cried.

Experience is the best teacher, right?

All of a sudden he seemed to understand what "Don't let Cooper pop it," meant. He repeated it over and over to himself.

Cooper got John David another ball a few days later and guess what? He keeps it in the house without any nagging from me. :) He plays happily with his ball in the house and every time he asks me to get it down from the shelf he says, "Don't let Cooper pop it."

So that was a few months ago. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. We went out to breakfast at Pamela's. They have a sparkly rainbow disco ball hanging from their ceiling. John David pointed to it and said, "What's that Mommy?"

Me, "A disco ball."

John David sighed, "Don't let Cooper pop it."

No comments:

Post a Comment