Tuesday, August 24, 2010

out of the blue

A couple days ago John David said, "Broke the camel. No hotdog."

Huh? It took me a second to figure out what he meant.

Three weeks ago, I purchased a Groupon to The Franktuary. It's a hotdog joint at the entrance of a catholic cathedral in downtown Pittsburgh. The Groupon was $5 for $10 worth of food. My friend Valentina raved about it, so David wanted to try it.

We spent some time searching high and low for a metered parking spot. We were hungry so David gave up and parked in an overpriced garage. For some crazy reason, we decided to go without the stroller because the place looked small from the outside and we didn't want to take up the entire place with our double stroller. That was mistake #1.

As soon as we walked in John David saw a large wooden statue of a camel (actually I think it was a llama but what does that matter really?). He was fascinated by this camel and kept saying, "Camel. Look at the camel!" So, how my attention lapsed for two seconds (mistake #2) while checking out the menu is beyond me.... Next thing I know, the camel crashed down and was on the floor in two pieces.

David scooped up John David and took him out of the place while I scurried over, HUMILIATED, and stood the camel's headless body back up and propped his neck & head in the corner.

We left starving and paid our $3.50 parking tab. John David kept saying, "Hot dog! I want a hot dog!"

Daddy said, "No hotdog. You broke the camel!"

So it surprised us on Sunday evening when John David randomly said, "Broke the camel. No hotdog."

Well, at least it made a lasting impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment