Thursday, July 8, 2010

Bees

Last Saturday John David was stung by a bee for the second time this summer. When he came over to me screaming, he had a fist full of grass and I realized he was GRABBING the bees. I had to pull the stinger out of his right ring finger and he was crying huge tears and screaming. Poor pumpkin. :( Our new neighbor Eric brought out an ice pack immediately and John David sat on my lap for at least twenty minutes for ice and kisses. When he finally got down to go play, he ran right back over to some bees and started trying to catch them!!! So I scooped him back up in my lap and told him, "Don't grab bees. They will sting you." He loves to catch bugs, butterflies, fireflies, worms, slugs, etc., and play with them. Later that day I opened his I Love Animals picture book and turned to the insect page. We talked about which bugs were "nice" and which ones were "mean." After that, he got it! The next day he was out playing in the yard, saw some bees, and said to himself, "Don't grab bees. Don't grab 'dem. 'Dose [those] bees will STEEN you!" He must have been tempted or something because he said it over and over, like he was coaching himself through it.

Then on Sunday his friend Henry stepped on a bee and got stung. :( More tears! Poor kid. John David felt really terrible for him. He has talked about it all week long. Like today, we were at the mall, John David was riding in the stroller and I heard him say, "Stung him in 'da foot." So I asked him, "Are you thinking about how Henry got stung by a bee?"

"Yeah. Bees hurt you really bad."

No comments:

Post a Comment