Tuesday, December 20, 2011

broken heart

Rex got his heart broken today.  While the boys were at Parent's Morning Out, I ran some errands and found some inexpensive rain boots at Target.  John David has been needing some rubber boots to run around in while playing outside.  The backyard is muddy and he's been getting his shoes all filthy AND tracking mud into the house.  So I came across these green frog boots at Target.  I considered buying Rex an identical pair but decided he could just take the ones John David had grown out of, despite the fact that they were STILL two sizes too big for Rex.

After I picked up the boys from PMO, we got home and John David gasped when he spied the new green boots inside the Target sack.  "Mom!  You got me some new boots!  Thank you."  He was so surprised and happy.  Rex's little face lit up too and he started checking all the bags, looking for his pair.  He couldn't find them and looked up at me with questioning eyes, so I told him,  "I didn't get you any."  He understood exactly what I meant and his bottom lip jutted out, he scrunched up his face, and started bawling.  Big huge tears!  He was so hurt.  He looked at me like, "How could you?"

I grabbed his cowboy boots and started to put them on his feet and he JUST KEPT BAWLING.  He looked at me like, "This is no substitute."

Then, after dinner, for the second time today, I had to run back up to Target for some last minute ingredients so I'd have everything I needed to make treats for a Christmas party tomorrow.  I thought I'd pick up a pair of the same boots for Rex while I was there....but.....they didn't have any left.  Nothing in his size.  Not the green ones.  Not any color.  Nothing.  So then I drove to another Target across town.  None in his size there either.  Whomp whomp.  :o(

Oh, and this was John David's outfit that he put on to "match" his new boots.  Blue swimming trunks and a brown t-shirt.  It was probably 45 degrees outside.  :)  I don't think he wanted anything like PANTS covering up his super cool boots.



No comments:

Post a Comment