Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Books

John David has three favorite books at the moment.

1.  Where the Wild Things Are 
2.  There was an Old Monster (similar to There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly)
3.  There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat (Halloween themed)


We read these three books several times a day.  He's getting to be very curious about letters and words.  He asked me to read the copyright page the other day after noticing that I routinely skip through the first few pages in a book before beginning the story.

He will ask me, "Mom, what sound does a 'B' make?"  And I will tell him.  He'll usually ask about 2-3 letters at a time.  Today he wanted to know the sounds of Z, N, and B.  He will point at random words in a book and ask, "What does that say?"  I'm so glad he's finally taking a deeper interest!

He actually got the Monster book at church.  Our church recently started giving the children bookmarks every time they came to children's church on Sundays or Kid's Club on Thursday nights.  Once they collect ten bookmarks, they were allowed to choose a book to take home as a reward.

Our church is going to be hosting a book fair in just a few more days and I'm hoping they will have the book, "There was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly," because I think he'll love that one too (and I would consider it to be the "original" although technically, it's based on the nursery rhyme song).

No comments:

Post a Comment