Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Writing

Sorry about the messy state of my house.  When David started looking for a new job we started packing.  So it's a bit of a wreck.  The trashcan is sitting on top of the bookcase because Rex enjoys trash-digging. And the bookcase is turned AROUND facing the WALL because I got tired of Rex pulling books off the shelf.  Anyway!  Here is John David using my Handwriting Without Tears manipulatives to spell his name.  There are 4 types of wooden pieces: big line, little line, big curve, and little curve.  The idea behind this curriculum is that all capital letters are made of these types of lines.  Kids learn it on the manipulatives and then transition to writing on paper.  It's a great program.  I used it as an OT and have been using it to teach John David how to make letters.  I waited for him to show his own curiousity before teaching him anything.  :)  He still hasn't asked how to write "David" himself, but he can spell "John David" independently, along with a few other names.




*In case any OTs or teachers are reading this, you are technically not supposed to use the wooden pieces to teach the letter "J" so I didn't, but he made up a way to make a "J" anyhow!  Ha.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment